Welcome to Palm Springs
Welcome to Palms Springs - The Desert City of Coachella Valley
Palm Springs is a desert resort city in Riverside County, California, within the Coachella Valley. Palm Springs is the place to enjoy life.
Palm Springs can escape away from the buzz of the big city. Two hours drive from Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego counties, there is the golden sun, blue sky, dry air from the desert of California in addition to beautiful mountains surrounding an amazing green valley. There are a few decades, the city became famous for beeing a getaway for Hollywood stars. Nowadays, you will find spas and golf courses, sports clubs, large and complex modest ranch style homes but you can still feel the Hollywood 60`s atmosphere through the Little San Bernardino and Santa Rosa mountains. This beauty is really breathtaking. There are a large number of stars second homes in Palm Springs. The permanent population is 43,800 as of 2001, with another 27,000 to 30,000 people living in the City in the winter, bringing the total population to almost 75,000 residents during the winter season.
Informations and Facts
There are several clubs and restaurants where you can spend a good time like the Zelda`s Nightclub or the Toucan`s Tiki Lounge while you enjoying the beautiful area. You can also decide to try the latin night on wednesadays at the Tropicale Dining & Lounge or even take part of a Glee party at the SpurLine Video Lounge.
On interstate 10, just 15 to 20mins west of Palm Springs at the Apache Road Exit, there is the Palm Springs Outlet Mall ( Cabazon Outlet ) where you can find all designer clothes in 150 different shops. You can also find Palm Desert's famous El Paseo shops to do local shopping, get local favorites, name brands, great selection and best deals.
The main sites to visit are museums and landscapes like :
- Palm Springs Art Museum :
In addition a study of natural history, anthropology and art deserts of California, the museum has in its central gallery, Asian art (works collected by the actor William Holden) and furniture and bronze sculptures of the actor George Montgomery. The wing dedicated to the natural sciences provides an introduction to geology, flora and fauna. At the top level stands a glass sculpture by 4.5 m high, signed Dale Chihuly.
- Palm Springs Desert Museum : Housed in a stylish contemporary building, the Palm Springs Desert Museum offers an excellent overview of the natural, cultural and artistic history of the deserts of California view. Founded in 1938 as a museum of natural history and anthropology of the Coachella Valley, he acquired works of contemporary American art through the growth of the population of Palm Springs, which among retirees and art collectors East Coast and Midwest. The permanent collection now has more than 5,000 pieces.
- Palm Springs Air Museum : The military history of World War II dominates the modern museum featuring rotating thirty aircraft. Background of catchy period music, visitors to the Palm Springs Air Museum can scrutinize superb vintage models (Curtiss P-40 Warhawk, P-51 Mustang, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress). All but two models are, after restoration, in running condition. Panels give the specifications of each device and knowledgeable guides answered questions.
- Indian Canyons : Agua Caliente tribe of Indians Cahuillas holds three canyons (Canyons) on the foothills of the San Jacinto Mountains, covered vast tracts of fan palm, the only palm California. To see, follow the trails or join a tour framed. From the entrance, a paved road leads to a dominant Palm Canyon, home to some 3,000 trees with the highest concentration of fan palms in California parking. The main palm extends 3.2 km in the canyon 25 km long and smaller bloom in places further upstream. Easy trail through the sandy terrain in the shade of trees before becoming harder climbing the top of the canyon narrow edges, field of bighorn sheep.
- Moorten Botanical Gardens : In an original alternative to formal presentations and scientific botanical exhibitions in the country and each state, a profusion of strange and curious plants, from deserts worldwide, flowers here in a diversity often associated with dense tropical forests - 3000 species in a garden of 0.8 ha.
Standard Time Zone UTC/GMT -8 hours
Most of the time, the weather is hot and quite dry climate with over 300 days of sunshine and around 4.83 inches (122.7 mm) of rain annually.
Composed of rotating platforms with panoramic windows and can accommodate up to 80 passengers, the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway climbs the steep slopes of the San Jacinto chain through cables supported by five towers. From the desert to the alpine snow covered forest at 2600 meters above sea level , you will have ten minutes to enjoy a breathtaking view of landscapes as beautiful and varied , including a superb panorama the Coachella Valley that extends to Joshua Tree National Park and beyond . Once at destination, the resort offers a restaurant, a souvenir shop and a video showing the construction of the cable in the early 1960s, and is an ideal starting point for exploring the Mt San Jacinto State Park: you can walk to the top of the mountain at 3293 meters, from hiking to skiing or snowshoeing ( November to April ) or follow a guide mule .