Welcome to Little Rock
Welcome to Little Rock - The city of
Little Rock is the biggest city and the capital of Arkansas. It was founded by the French Jean-Baptiste Bénard de la Harpe in 1722. The city developped and became the capital of Arkansas in 1821. Despite the abrogation of segregation laws in the country, in 1857, Governor Faubus forbade 9 blacks students to enter in the highschool of the city. It caused confrontations during several weeks between Black and White people in front of the building. President Eisenhower intervened himself to make sure that the equality is respected. The "Little Rock Nine" has became a symbol of the struggle against racism. In 1978, Bill Clinton, future president of the United States, was elected Governor of Arkansas.
Information and Facts
Population: 183,133 inhabitants
Location: capital of Arkansas and county of Pulasky
Area: 309,7 km²
After a good diner in a restaurant, you have choice. You can walk on the docks or in the center. Moreover, you can simply go in a club or a cafe with music, piano bar, night club, etc.
Addresses of piano bars:
322 President Clinton Avenue
Monday-Friday 6 pm - 2 am, Sat 6 pm - 1 am
307 Clinton Avenue 501-372-4782
7 pm - 2 am, 7 days a week
If you want a day of shopping, you can go in the River Market District. You can enjoy with your familly and your friends a day in this shopping mall and go in Little Rock's favorite store, The Shop the Rock, or in the Clinton Museum Store. Naturally, there are another shops for gifts, bargains, etc.
In Little Rock, there is a lot of touristic sites to visit:
- Old State Building: it is the old capitol, built in the first half of the 19th century.
- Old Mill: it is a replica of an old-water-powered grist mill. Moreover, it was featured in "Gone With the Wind."
- Aerospace Education Center: it retraces the history of aeronautics and aerospace science.
- Arkansas Arts Center
- Arkansas Inland Maritime Museum
- Historic Arkansas Museum
- Little Rock Zoo: it is a small zoo with more than 725 animals, representing over 200 species.
- The Clinton Library: it is a museum which has artifacts from the presidency of Clinton.
This city offers different means of transports:
- Buses: network transport, administered by the Central Arkansas Transit Authority makes buses available to travelers
- Car rental: Most international companies have offices in this city.
If there is any problem, call 911.
Here two hospitals in Little Rock:
University Of Arkansas For Medical Sciences
4301 W Markham St
+1 501 686 7000.
Arkansas State Hospital
305 S Palm St
+1 501 686 9000.